Thanks to several days of rain and thunderstorms, I recently had some time to myself, and I chose to pass it beading.
There’s something peaceful about working with beads, string, metal, and such. Something rewarding about creating a bracelet or earrings from rocks and wire.
I derive infinite satisfaction from fingering the beads, researching their healing properties, and knowing that, if I make something I don’t particularly like, I can either dismantle it and start over or I can squirrel it away for someone else to purchase one day.
We all have different tastes, you know, and one person’s trash is another person’s treasure!
Here are a few of the items I designed (and if you’re tired of seeing beaded jewelry, forgive me, but I’m up to my ears in Commencement preparations and this is the best I can post in my scatter-brained state!):
1) This bracelet contains 8 Citrine chunks (helps with digestion and is known as the “Merchant’s Stone”) interspersed with 4mm round Hematites (increases intuition and improves relationships).
2) This bracelet features 10 oval Unakite discs connected with 4mm round Unakite beads. Unakite is a combination of Red Jasper and Green Epidote. It’s said to lift your spirits, help you see the beauty in life, and uncover deception.
3) This “healing” bracelet contains 3 each of faceted Crystal beads, Sodalite, Turquoise, Jasper, Blue Averturine, and Howlite. All are 6mm round beads.
- Crystal is said to enhance the energy of other stones
- Sodalite brings inner peace
- Turquoise is the symbol of friendship
- Jasper is worn for protection, luck, and to ease emotional stress
- Blue Aventurine helps with self-discipline and inner strength
- Howlite relieves stress and aids in sleep.
4) This is a healing bracelet featuring round stones sized 8mm each. Included gemstones are Crystal, Carnelian, Aventurine, Rose Quartz, Purple Striated Agate, Yellow Striated Agate, and Fancy Jasper. And here’s what the stones are said to do (minus, of course, the ones I’ve already listed):
- Carnelian increases energy and guards against poverty
- Green Aventurine is the stone of luck
- Rose Quartz is the stone of universal love
- Agate has so many positive qualities that everyone should have one (or more!)
5) This bracelet is comprised of 8 Russian Jade oval-shaped beads and 11 round, 4mm Fancy Jasper beads with a silver toggle clasp. Jade helps the body to heal itself. An ancient protective stone, Jade helps in clear reasoning.
Do stones in and of themselves really ‘Heal’? Who knows, but it’s fun learning about them anyway!